Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos, Mexico
The Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos project was a $43M deep renovation and reconstruction following Hurricane Odile in September 2014. The property was initially developed by Playa Hotels & Resorts as the 619-room Barceló Los Cabos during 2007 – 2009.
The reconstruction was entirely accomplished in just 11 months, from the initial surveys and new interior design concepts in October 2014 to the new hotel opening in September 2015. TLDI was retained by Playa Hotels & Resorts under a Construction Management Agent contract to provide a wide array of services, from negotiation with the insurance adjusters to management of the selected general contractor, as well as procurement.
The scope of works included:
- Repair of all construction and equipment damaged by hurricane Odile, including indirect damage as assessed by the emergency response team.
- The project included total reconstruction of 90% of the rooms, 100% of the public areas and 50% of the back of the house.
- Miscellaneous improvements like new hurricane-proof windows, reinforced partitions and new flooring for the pool decks and walkways.
- New interior design concepts on all F&B outlets and public areas.
- Miscellaneous reconfiguration of the rooms’ structure to optimize operations, including increasing the number of suites and reducing room number types.